Hello everyone and Merry Christmas,
This year, I am doing something a little different for Christmas. I am spending Christmas Eve and Christmas Day by myself. This is not as horrible as it may sound.
I am taking some much needed me time, away from all the hustle and bustle of work at school and these two days are dedicated to me.
here is a list of a few things I will be doing to take care of myself on Christmas, which anyone can do…
- Get up at a decent hour on Christmas morning and make breakfast. I am going to actually cook breakfast for myself that includes pancakes, veggie bacon and a nice, hot cup of fresh coffee. I am treating myself with pancakes, since I do not normally eat them because they are very high in calories, but what the heck, it’s Christmas 🙂
2. Now that I have enjoyed my breakfast, I will be opening some “mock” presents. What I mean by this is to open the surprise bags I bought from my work, so that I could have something to open. I thought it was a very clever Idea, because I hate knowing what I got for Christmas before opening my presents. Since I do not know what is in those surprise bags before I open them, it’s a win/win for me.
3. Binge watch some of my favourite Christmas movies and cartoons that my mother and I used to enjoy watching together when she was alive. I take this time of year to remember her and how special she made Christmas Day for us. My mother worked very hard in the usual baking and other traditions, as well as making sure there was enough snacks for everyone to enjoy. However, the most important part of Christmas with my mom, was the love she has for her family and the time we spend together when she was here with us. Watching Christmas movie and cartoons with her, only added to the extra layers of Christmas happiness into our hearts.
4. A walk in the snowy covered city to enjoy the race full serenity of the falling snow. Anything can be beautiful if you open your eyes to its wonder and take time to notice it.
5. Dinner consisting of tofu turkey, Brussel sprouts and mashed potatoes. I am cooking this Christmas dinner for myself to remember all the amazing family dinners I was a part of and the many moments laughter and joy, throughout the generations. My grandfather always seemed to come up with the funniest things to say at the dinner table, that would leave all all either chocking on our food, or laughing so hard that we could not breathe. My family and I have always cherished and remembered these special times in our lives.
5. Ending the night by relaxing with a face mask and reading a good book!
Anyone can spend Christmas alone, but that does not mean it has to suck. Do thinks that make you happy and things that don’t give you any stress. Take some time for yourself and be proud of who you are.
Some other things you could do when spending Christmas alone:
- Find a local free Christmas dinner to go to, hosted by your community.
- Bake some of your favourite cookies.
- Have a bubble/salt bath with candles.
- Indulge in your favourite treat.
- Have a spa day and go all out with manicures, predicates, face masks and a massage.
- Do a random act for someone who is homeless this Christmas.
- Make homemade Chinese food.
Whatever you choose to do, make sure It is special enough to make it feel like Christmas for you. Make the best of it with what you got.
Christmas does not have to be stressful. It can be relaxing to take care of yourself for the day, to enjoy some inner peace.
My Christmas this year was almost like a meditation, one that keeps me mindful of all the wonderful things in the world and the amazing people I have in my life. It was nice to put this all in perspective and to see the beauty in even the smallest things.
We must enjoy our lives and have fun, without stress.
Merry Christmas Everyone!